Do you really know how to set up SEO?
Might sound like a strange question from someone offering SEO advice! But we exhibit at lots of business and networking seminars and in talking to visitors about SEO when we ask that question we often hear the answer:
“It’s all right, I know how to set up SEO – leave it with me!”
But all too often their knowledge is just outdated. Lots of people have content managed systems to manage their websites and see the section called ‘SEO SETUP’ which has a few fields to enter information such as META TAGS, META DATA, PAGE TITLE and URI. They quite rightly enter these details and then assume that’s all there is to SEO and away they go expecting their sites to be ranked on the first page the next day. If only it was that simple!
SEO management covers a whole host of areas, is an ongoing activity and needs to really inform the search engines about every aspect of your website and your business:
- detailed analysis of how you want to be seen;
- how on-page content is related to underlying website SEO information;
- how to create a unique focus on the information on each page;
- the correct way to submit your website to each search engine;
- updating information regularly;
- ensuring videos are managed correctly to avoid down grading by search engines;
- image tagging for performance and recognition;
- site structure levels and the money pages…
There’s so much to do to setup and then manage regularly to get that search ranking and to maintain it.
The list of activities and requirements is extensive and is more than just entering the scant data into the SEO fields that may be available to you. So we’ve put together some SEO Top Tips to get you started that touch on some of the key areas to look at when starting out on SEO.