- It is clear that most 'traditional' marketing does not work. Despite what they tell you!
- Despite what they tell you, most firms are falling short of customer expectations especially in terms of customer service.
- Only 10% of any market actually buys on price despite what people tell you.
- Customers leave you because you don’t appear to care about them.
- Customers choose you because of your engagement with them.
- You can get away with murder!
- What really hacks off your customers?
- Why can't you sell more stuff? A clue: lazy marketing. Another: you look/sound/talk/sell identical to your competitors. Another: the adverts no longer work; word-of-mouth is what matters. Another: shouting louder doesn’t attract attention any more.
- What is your job from the customer’s point of view? A clue: it is almost certainly NOT what you do. People do not buy what you do; they buy what you do does for them. They buy the afters, what is left after you've 'delivered'.
- What is the usual way of doing things? A clue: the usual way is almost certainly boring, dull and predictable.
- What could/should you be doing?
What I refer to as stand-out or disruptive marketing is an alternative to the way you do things now. In your heart of hearts you know that you could be doing so much more. To quote Jerry Garcia: "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do."
It works for Innocent, Tom's shoes, Happy Computers, Ben and Jerry's, TED talks, Hobbs House Bakery, Dans Le Noir and Dorset Cereals. These are all businesses with strong ethical motivations who are really well-connected to their customers. Maybe it will work for you?
Robert Craven is founder of The Directors Centre
About Robert Craven
Robert Craven is an international keynote business speaker, author, consultant and owner of The Directors’ Centre, a consulting and training company which helps owner-directors run the business they want to run.
His latest book, Grow Your Digital Agency, which provides the business fundamentals that every growing agency needs to address, is out now!